Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Starting to Click

I almost don’t want to blog about this because I’m afraid I’m going to jinx myself……

Weight on Monday:  315.1lbs

Weight this Morning:  311.7lbs

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-freaking-hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I think the lowest I have seen my scale at the beginning of April was 311.6lbs.  It’s never been a consistent number.  My pattern is hitting 311-something and then going back up higher.  NOT THIS TIME.

…..but I’m not going to talk about it anymore, no jinxing of my scale will be tolerated. 

Funny story. 

This morning I woke up and got ready to go walking.  I think this routine will work well for me.  I wake up when Marc does at 5:35 and go out walking and then I get home and have a leisurely morning to get ready for work.  Anyhoo, I decided to walk around my neighborhood this morning instead of driving to the track around the soccer fields at the local park.  I grab my ipod, watch, house keys, cell phone and of course my umbrella.  It’s just misting out so I’m all set, I walk a bit and decide since I’m walking into the wind to put up the umbrella to shield me a bit.  I kid you not, less than 10 seconds later it starts to DOWNPOUR.  I walk a few steps in the downpour and then I just turn around back to my house.  Just as I turn around a huge Mack Truck comes roaring by which creates a gigantic gust of wind, knocks my umbrella into the side of my head causing my glasses to push very hard into my face and of course become crooked and to end it all my umbrella flips inside out.  I honestly wish it would have been recorded somehow because I think it was probably really funny to watch.    

Starting to Click.

Recently my nutritionist has been speaking to me about how my stress level is related to my weight loss.  I’ve been reading up on it on the internet.  Here is a good link.  The article is from 2009 but it still has great information.  It’s talking about how cortisol levels affect your weight loss, it actually causes weight gain in your belly area, which I do not need!   The article also goes on to talk about the stress eating factor in men vs. women which just validates what I have been saying to Marc all along!

I especially love this quote from the article…

The Montclair puzzle studies indicated that women tend to eat more unhealthy foods only when they are both battling stress and restricting calories in order to lose weight. That clearly indicates, Zellner says, that women should stop depriving themselves. "Instead of viewing certain foods as 'off limits,' they should view them as things they can have occasionally," she says. Try budgeting one or two small treats into your day instead of avoiding them entirely--that way, you won't risk going overboard when your willpower finally snaps.

This is what I have started to do over the last few days and it is working SO MUCH better for me!!!  I feel like I just struck gold.

Lately, a lot has been clicking in my brain in regards to my band and weight loss.  Maybe others who are in different areas of their weight loss journey have already hits these realizations but it’s like a whole new world is opening up for me. 

The whole stress thing really hit home during my three day bender last week too, I was feeling so stressed and hopeless about finances, moving back to Maine and just life in general.  I know my stress wasn’t the only reason but it doesn’t help any.  Since Sunday I feel much better stress wise, Marc & I did some figuring with our finances and we even split up our household chores and just a few simple things like that has made my stress level go way down.  I need to focus on these types of influences because they can derail my weight loss. 

I hope I can keep this good state up, I think I can if I just remember to keep my stress level down and my mental talk positive.  The minute I let myself think negative everything goes down hill very rapidly.  Knowing and realizing these things are half the battle, right?


Photobucket

6 comments:

MandaPanda said...

I like the phrase "Fake it til you make it." You're stressed...act like you're not. Have low self esteem, act confident. Eventually, you will be. I'm trying to embrace this and so far, so good.

Amanda Kiska said...

I love that study so much! Yea for 311.7! You are making great progress!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the good work! I can definitely commiserate with the stress eating.

Alison said...

You're doing great!

Rhonda said...

I love this study, I read it when you posted it on Facebook and I think it's absolutely right! I've been doing this since being banded and it's worked wonders for me. :) Of course... I've been taking it to extremes lately, but that's neither here nor there. LOL

Beth Ann said...

Yay! Go you!